Monday, November 1, 2010

A Long-Awaited Secret


Hey all!
So I know I haven't made as many updates lately. Not as many as I would like. I want you to know that this is the primary reason for it. Behold, a rare glimpse into my workspace. Here we have my precious drawing table, and the seven horrors who are currently holding my interest. These paintings are for a two-fold purpose. First of all, each one of them was done in a slightly different style. I've tried different combinations of mediums in each one, varying between acrylic and oil for different steps. I feel like I'm still trying to figure out what I like to paint with best, and this has been very illuminating indeed. I don't want to get into the particulars of each one just yet, as there may be more that I do to each one before too long, but so far this has been a very interesting and rewarding experience. Suffice to say, I've spent a long time looking into the techniques of various artists whom I respect and admire, and have been trying to emulate their methods to some extent in each of these pieces. Besides the names of the creatures depicted in each (and they all have names), I think of these in terms of the artist who's style is inspiring me.
The second purpose I hinted at is that there's an upcoming event in Montreal, called Expozine. I'm aiming to be there with a couple of friends to sell my wares and make a few connections. These paintings are, in part, an effort to expand my wares. But really, money aside, these pieces are meant to be a learning experience.
For the time being, each piece is on double-thick Illustration board which has been coated in about three coats of watered-down gesso. Also, in some cases, there's a few layers of acrylic wash over-top of that. The lot of them are pretty diverse. I'll get into specifics when each piece is finished, which, god-willing, will be in short-order.
Also, see that big, blank board up in the corner? I have big plans for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment