Thursday, October 14, 2010

Koschei The Deathless


Hey all! I've been wanting to get this piece submitted sooner than this, but it took me about two weeks to get my hands on a scanner big enough to accommodate this piece.
Before I get into the real nitty gritty here and just paraphrase my deviantart entry on the same piece, is anyone familiar with conceptart.org? Frankly, it's a very pretty website, but actually using it? Bloody forget it. This website hates its users and wants to make the whole process as complicated as humanly possible. Unless you're a spectator, stay far, far away. So, they don't get this piece and you, my readers, do.
Now, back to the matter at hand.
Koschei is a middle-range figure from Russian mythology. He's sometimes a servant of Baba Yaga, but generally he is simply a monster who rips people to shreds and can't be killed. His main concept is that he hid his soul in (and I'm not making this up) a needle, which he hid in an egg, which he hid in a duck, which he hid in a rabbit, which he hid in a box (or nesting dolls, depending on who you read) which he hid in the roots of an old tree which is on some island way out in the middle of nowhere with a million billion trees on it. Only by finding the needle (and, in some cases, breaking it against Koschei's forehead) can you kill him. Otherwise, Koschei is an insane old monster who can't die. I kept very close to the original myth while making this piece, wanting this guy to look just pure evil.
I had a lot of fun with the mark-making for this piece. The many textures I worked into this piece gave me great opportunities to try for the full extent which graphite could give me. I'll have to try more soon. There's something very nice about this medium; it's simple.
HB and 6B graphite on sketchbook paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment