Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Encounter! IZM 2011


Hey all!
I was thinking a lot about the source of a number of zombie plagues in movies and the like, and a large number of them seem to come from outer space. It was that idea that inspired this image or the alien outcast, infected and set adrift in the void, alone and hungry.
Graphite and a whole mess of Photoshopping. It was a fun technique to experiment with, though I don't think it will ever replace my love of traditional mediums. I began with by retouching the original graphite drawing, and then adding a multiplied white layer which I used to add more contrast with the dodge (mid tones) and burn (highlights) tools. I retouched the color of the original graphite drawing (with an Overlay layer) to a light blue-green, for atmosphere purposes.Afterwards, on a soft light layer, I added the colors. From there, on a multiply layer, I put in more shadows and dark areas. I got to a kind of experimental part of the image, when I put a layer of a dark blue-purple over the entire image, made it very transparent (about 15% opacity) and erased some highlighted areas, then hit the entire layer with Gaussian blur. Afterwards, I made normal layer to add the highlights. From there, I flattened the image, gave it a very light texture and added a little something else while I'll leave you to guess.
It was fun to play with and works well in a pinch. I'll use this again, I'm sure.
More zombie goodness to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment